Saturday, April 23, 2011

Easter Cookies

Since Tori didn't have to go to school yesterday, we decided it would be fun to make Easter sugar cookies.  We've done it at Christmas time before, but never at Easter.  So, we thought it would be a fun Good Friday project. 

In the morning, we made the sugar cookies.  I was given a great sugar cookie recipe that is very simple, but taste great!  The kids always love helping me measure out ingredients and pour them in the bowl.  We had gotten everything out and had started mixing the ingredients when I realized that I was out of stick butter.  I was afraid that using tub butter would mess up the cookies, since we were rolling and cutting them into shapes.  If we were going to go to all that trouble, I wanted to make sure something stupid like using the wrong type of butter didn't mess them up.  Anyway, so I called my neighbor down the street who is super sweet and asked her if she had any unsalted stick butter.  I promised her some of the finished product if I could have some butter. Ha!  One of her sons rode his bike down to our house and delivered two sticks of butter!  Now that's a great neighbor! :)



After the cookie dough was made, it had to go in the refrigerator for at least an hour to get firm.



Then the rolling and the cutting began!  We made flowers, lilies, bunnies, butterflies, and crosses.  Once we got them all cut out, it was time for baking.  I didn't take a picture of them cooling, but of course, they had to sit on the cooling racks for awhile until they weren't hot anymore.  Then last night, the decorating finally happened!





They turned out really cute!  Making cookies also taught my children patience.  They didn't realize there was so much waiting involved in making cookies!  :)  Here's our finished products: