Monday, March 7, 2011

Courage!

I teach 3rd grade Sunday School at my church.  I often feel like I learn as much from studying the lessons as my kids learn from my teaching.  :)  Every month we study a different virtue.  This month the virtue is:  courage.  We learn the definition of the virtue and then a verse that we can memorize to go along with it.

Courage is: being brave enough to do what you should do even when you're afraid.  I love this definition because often times we think of someone who is brave and courageous as fearless.  That does not have to be the case.  The verse that the kids are memorizing is: When I am afraid, I will trust in you. Psalms56:3.

Yesterday the story was about David and Goliath.....more than likely anyone reading this is familiar with this childhood Bible story.  Goliath was a huge soldier in the Philistine army and David was the little brother of some of the Israelite soldiers.  Little David ended up killing the huge Goliath with only his sling shot. 

This story is found in the 56 verses of 1 Samuel.  There was one verse that really stood out to me as I study these verses.  Little David said in verse 37:  "The Lord who delivered me from the paw of the lion and the paw of the bear will deliver me from the hand of this Philistine."  That's what it's all about!!  That is where his courage came from......it came from evidence of God working in His life in the past!!!  This is exciting to me, because in 2011 this is still where our courage comes from.  As a Christian, I can look back at evidence of God working in my life in the past to give me courage for the present and the future!

That's a lot of explanation to say that I am going to add a series to my blog entitled:  Courage Builder:  Evidence of God in My Life.  I want to record experiences in my life that I know God was in control, so that I can look back at them and remember where my courage comes from.  I would encourage you to do the same.