Monday, March 14, 2011

Courage Builder #5: Evidence of God in My Life

I think I've mentioned on my blog before that my parents got divorced in July of 2008, after over thirty years of marriage.  It was a tough time for me, because my heart broke for my family.  During that summer, a new couple began visiting our Sunday School class at church.  We became friends very quickly and began spending a lot of time together.  She and I soon discovered that our parents were going through similar situations.  She had grown up in a Christian home (just like me) and had always looked up to her parents.  They had taught her right from wrong and taught her the importance of a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.  Due to some unwise choices of her father later in his life, her parents were also getting divorced that summer after thirty something years of marriage.  We talked a lot about what our families were going through.  If you had told either one of us five years earlier that our parents would be getting divorced, we would have thought you were a lunatic.  It is not very common to see well-respected, Christian couples get divorced after many years of marriage.  She was the only person that I could talk freely about my feelings and know that I wasn't going to be judged, because she was going through the same thing.  I can remember us praying for each other and talking a long time during the days that surrounded the actual court date of my parents divorce.  Just a few months after that, they decided that our church was too far away from home and they found a new church closer.  I have no doubt that God put her in my life at such a time as this to help me through that difficult time (and hopefully I helped her).  She was God's comfort to me in a tangible way.

It makes me think of the phrase, I'm not exactly sure how it is worded:  Some friends are put in our lives for only a season, while others grow roots and stay awhile.  Thank you God for caring about me enough to bring her into my life during that season.