Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Carson is 5!!!

Carson turned 5 years old last Wednesday!!  I can't believe my little man is so big!  Since our kids' actually birthdays usually fall on a weekday, we have started doing something special that day just as a family.  Then the following weekend they get to have a birthday party where we live to celebrate with their friends and then we go to our hometown the last part of the weekend and have a family birthday party with Robert's family and mine.  This has worked well the past few birthdays, so I think we're going to stick to this plan.  :)


This is Carson and Tori Wednesday morning before we took Tori to school.

He got to open one small present at breakfast time.

I made him his favorite type of muffins.  Tori and I sang "Happy Birthday."


Carson got to pick somewhere to eat out for his birthday lunch, so he picked McDonalds.  His daddy met us to eat, which made it extra special!
( This next picture is out of order, but I can't figure out how to delete it without erasing over half of my post, so just ignore it.)
 <><><><>
<>
<><><><>
Ice cream.......yum!!!

He got to open his big present from us on Wednesday night after church!


Carson is all about some Batman right now!!
 
We have a tradition that on their birthday they get to measure themselves to see how much they have grown.  When our kids were very young Robert was in the process of taking several promotions, so we knew that where we were living was not a permanent home for us.  Because of this, I didn't want to chart their growth on a wall or closet door, because I knew that when we moved it would be lost.  I got the idea of taking a roll of art paper and measuring off about six feet worth and laminating it.  This way no matter where we went, I could always have their growth history with us.  We also chart their weight, their hand size, and how well they can write their name.  They stay rolled up in the top of their closets, so they hardly take up any room to store.

Here is Carson getting measured on his.

This is Carson's without him on it.  :)  It's hard to read because of the glare.

Here's Tori getting measured.


You can't really read this, but I have matched up their charts so that we could tell who was taller when they turned five years old.

Then on Friday night, Carson had a Spiderman party in our backyard!

Here's Carson and Tori right before the party got started!

Carson and one of his sweet friends.  This was the first year that Carson had a real opinion about who he wanted to invite.  It's neat to see the friendships that he is creating through church and preschool.

Here's the whole crew!  We felt very safe, with there being so many superheros close by!! Ha!
Before they ate, we played some games.  This is during the scavenger hunt.  There were three spidermen all dressed exactly the same!  It was hard to tell them apart! ha!  They also got to spray villains with silly string and went through an obstacle course.
PIZZA for dinner!  In one of the Spiderman movies, Peter Parker is a pizza delivery boy, so we called it:
PETER PARKER PIZZA!
The birthday boy loved having all of his friends at his house all at the same time to play! 
Spiderman Cupcakes!  I was trying to not spend tons of money, so I made the cupcakes myself.  They were very easy and I thought they turned out cute enough.

The party ended with a pinata! 
Then on Sunday, amongst all the Mother's Day festivities, we had a family birthday party for Carson.  This is Carson with all of his first cousins except one (Wyatt had to leave for baseball practice).
After presents, we had more Spiderman cupcakes and ice cream! :)

Played outside in Nana's backyard

And yes, another pinata!  :)
I know this was a super long post, but I want my kids to be able to look back and remember these special times in their life.  I'm beginning to sense the urgency of documenting their childhood, because I realize in a blink it will be gone.  Little man, I love you so much.  I'm so glad that God entrusted you to me and your dad.