Thursday, July 28, 2011

Pillowcase Dresses and Doll Clothes

     My mom had some extra fabric at her house that the girls had been playing with and I got an idea to try and make cute pillowcase dresses for their American Girl dolls.  I knew that making normal size pillowcase dresses was pretty easy.  So, why not miniature size?  Tori picked out some fabric and ribbon and my mom said that they would try and work on it.  Well, they ran out of time, so Tori brought the fabric and ribbon home to me.  Yes, I do have a sewing machine.  No, I don't even know how to thread it!  :) 
     So, I called in reinforcements.  I called my friend Devon (who happens to be a very good seamstress) and told her my idea.  She said we could do even better than that.  She would run by Hobby Lobby and get enough fabric for her two girls and Tori to all have matching dresses with their dolls!  Yeah!  I was pumped.  So, yesterday Devon and the girls came over.  The kids had tons of fun playing and we (I use that term loosely) had tons of fun sewing!! :)  Devon is amazing.....she whipped out the three big girls dresses like it was nothing and then we ran out of time, so the doll dresses will have to wait for another day. 
     I did get my sewing machine out and after Devon loaded the bobbin and got it ready, I made Tori's doll (Lacey) a pair of shorts, all by myself (with Devon showing me how step-by-step)!  It was so easy and fun!! 


Devon hard at work

Tori's dress

Lacey's shorts that I made
 I can't wait until we play again!  I'll try to remember to post a picture later of all three girls and their dolls in matching dresses.  It should be cute....Lacey just might get herself a whole new wardrobe!!  :)