Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Long White Cars

Have you ever noticed that many elderly people like to drive long white cars that look like police cars? This past weekend we went home to Nashville to visit our families. I was driving the last little leg of the trip which is a normal two-lane highway. I was on a straight-stretch, but way up ahead I could see a car that looked like a police car waiting to pull out of a drive. So, of course, I do what any person instinctively does when you think there's a cop. I slowed down to the speed limit and became very cautious of following every road rule. When I finally past the car, it was an elderly couple waiting to pull out--not sure what they were waiting on, but they were waiting. I laughed at myself for being so cautious of this nice, harmless, elderly man, and then it occurred to me maybe that's why elderly people choose to drive long white cars. When people see those cars, they slow down and drive safely. I know that with my own grandparents, the older they get, the scarier it is for them to get out and fight traffic. I wonder if when a person goes to renew their license at 65, it is recommended to them. I don't know. My papa loves his big black Chevy truck, but maybe I'll suggest a big Cadillac or Lincoln. Just food for thought.